Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Odysseus by Nolan

   


      The most criticisms of Nolan I observed dealt with his modernizations, "wokeness"-- the use of colored actors as Greeks -- and unfaithfulness to Homer. Indeed, Bronze Age Greeks were marauding bands of looters and rapists lacking any sophistication and culture. How, for instance, modern viewer would digest sadistic murder of palace maidens by Odysseus who had thus "cleansed" his household from their pollution. Of course, slave girls cavorting with Penelope's bridegrooms was about as voluntary as co-habitation of the Trojan women with their Greek conquerors. Even the classical Greeks understood the tension, heretofore "The Trojan Women" by Euripides. 

    On the contrary, I found putting Homeric epic in the context of the Bronze Age collapse, the distant echo of which were the "Iliad" and "Odyssey", as the only interesting part of the movie. These were Odysseus wanderings and monsters, which I found unconvincing. Also Matt Damon was miscast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment